Monday, February 2, 2009

The Magic of Drumming – Therapy

Drumming has been a form of therapy for thousands of years to create and maintain physical, mental, and spiritual health. It has been used by the shamans from the tribes in Africa to Mongolia and the Native Americans to the ancient Mayans of the Aztecs in the Amazons to promote healing and self-expression through rhythm.

Research to date has verified that the therapeutic effects of drumming indicate that drumming accelerates physical healing, boosts the immune system and reproduces feelings of wellbeing, a release of emotional trauma, and reintegration of self.

These are the therapeutic Effects of Drumming:
  1. Drumming reduces tension, anxiety and stress
  2. Drumming helps control chronic pain
  3. Drumming boosts the immune system
  4. Drumming produces deeper self-awareness by inducing synchronous brain activity
  5. Drumming accesses the entire brain
  6. Drumming creates a sense of connectedness with self and others
  7. Drumming helps us to experience being in resonance with the natural rhythms of life
  8. Drumming places one in the present moment
  9. Drumming provides a medium for individual self-realization
  10. Drumming releases negative feelings, blockages, and emotional trauma.
  11. Drumming excesses the inner creativity power and builds confidence.

Throughout the 14 years since I first learned to drum, I have always known that drumming had a magical effect on oneself especially me. It was always therapeutic for me whenever I play drums. It just allows me to let go. At first, I thought I was show boating to others in the beginning when I just play the rhythms or solos. As I let go, I become aware of the rhythm and play from my heart, everyone is entertained and when that happens I am at peace.

1 Comments:

At February 6, 2009 at 4:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It fells so good to beat on drums, I really feel happy after every drum session

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home